Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hello from Debian GNU/Linux GSoC Student

Hello everyone,

Until today (24 May), I didn't blog regularly in *English*. I think after being accepted to GSoC writing a blog is a good (hmm, great) idea. By the way, I'm already writing a blog in *Turkish* at [1] address.

I'm too happy to be accepted to Google's Summer of Code. More important thing is I've been accepted to Debian GNU/Linux! This is unbelievable. Even after results are announced I can't believe that. Wonderful! I want to be more involved in Debian after GSoC.

My proposal is at [2]. And my project is about writing a tool to build Python extensions.

You can follow my GSoC progress from this blog or debian-python mailing list [3], I will write to this list about my project regularly.

Here is some decisions we took with my mentor Piotr:

* I will develop my project with GIT (under alioth), the address will be mentioned in my next mail.

* I will blog[2] about my progress (an email will be send here as well) every two weeks. (maybe more often)

* I will write the code in Python 3 and convert it to Python 2.6 (current Squeeze Python version) using Python 3 to 2 converter which I will write after I finished some important tasks on py3multibuild.

* I will focus on building Python extensions for Python 3 then I will backport the tool to Python 2.

This post is meant as introduction, my next one will contain more technical details.

Please do not hesitate to comment to my posts.

[1] http://mesutcank.blogspot.com
[2] http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/mesutcank/2001

No comments:

Post a Comment